August 5, 2020 by aubreykloppers
Getting to run Ultimaker Cura on a VM on ESXi (6) running Windows Server 2019 is quite easy if you know what you are doing. This also works when you use MSTSC.
Step 1: Change the Virtual Machine guest OS type.
- Shut the VM down.
- Right-Click on the VM and click “Edit Settings”
- Navigate to: Options > General Options > Guest Operating System
- Choose “Windows 10 64Bit”
Step 2: Modify the VMX file.
- SSH to the ESXi host.
- open the VMX file using vi or your preferred editor
- Add this line to the end: mks.enable3d = “TRUE”
Step 3: Reload the VM.
- vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms
- vim-cmd vmsvc/reload
Start your Windows Server VM and you will be able to run Cura.