Leave a comment
September 6, 2016 by aubreykloppers
To update your ESXi host, in my case 6.0, to a new patch level is quite easy if you know what you are doing. The following outline the steps:
- Upload your patch in zip format to the host using the STORAGE Browser.
- Shut down all your VM’s running on the host.
- Log into your host using SSH.
- Put your host in maintenance mode using the ESXi vSphere Client or the command-line with: vim-cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_enter
- Install the patch: esxcli software vib install -d “/vmfs/volumes/<VOL>/update-from-esxi6.0-6.0_update02.zip”
- Reboot the host.
- Once the system is back-up, take the system out of maintenance mode using the ESXi vSphere Client or the command-line with: vim-cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_exit