September 13, 2014 by aubreykloppers
Here is the thing:
I have 2 ESXi hosts, each with 2 NIC’s. Moving a VM from one host to another, I expect to get way better transfer rates over the 2*2*1GB Network Cards (NICs):
The scenario – (The VM is in a powered-down state):
- VM(1) from ESXI(1) -> PC -> ESXI(2) to VM(2).
- I am only getting 6MB/s transfer.
It actually makes sense that because the PC is sitting in the middle and the traffic/transfer is going via the PC’s NIC that I will never get the full transfer rates. Well, this is what I though…
I now installed Windows (8.1) on a VM, and onto that the converter:
- VM(1) from ESXI(1) via VM(1) -> ESXI(2) to VM(2).
- Changed the target disk to THIN.
- I am getting 18.5MB/s transfer.
So, in conclusion, do not use a remote machine, try and use a local VM to do the transfers. I believe this will speed up even more once I close the ESXi vSpere Client…